General Space Rules
From St. Louis Hackerspace Wiki
(Redirected from Use of Public Area)
General Space Safety, Damage and Accident Policy
- All accidents are to be reported to any Officer as soon as possible
- Safety violations you witness should be reported to any Officer as soon as possible.
- Or, if it minor and you are sure of the best practice, show it the member to spread the knowledge.
- Use correct tools for your work.
- When carrying tools, sharp edges should be pointed downwards.
- Be patient and do not rush.
- Avoid distractions.
- Don’t work on anything when you are angry or upset.
- Avoid working alone in the workshop.
- Avoid creating a cluttered work area while working, especially if others are working in the workshop at the same time.
- Be aware when working with long items such as 2x4s as to not hit equipment or people
- When multiple tools are in being utilized on a single workbench, only one tool should be in operation at a time.
- Only one splitter or surge protector per outlet. Do not “daisy chain” them.
- Perform a visual inspection of the tool before using it looking for things like possible damage, missing or loose parts, or the previous user's materials
- Do not use an equipment if it is marked as damaged or appears to be damaged
- Damaged Equipment is to be reported to the Sergeant at Arms as soon as possible
- Keep flammable and combustible items away from spark producing activities. Before using a grinder, look to see what is stored around that might respond to a spark. The same with welding or cutting.
- Know where the emergency button is on all tools
- Use of Equipment while intoxicated result in immediate expulsion of the member.
- Misuse of any Equipment is to be reported to an Officer as soon as possible
- Avoid clothing that is excessively baggy, especially when using saws or drills
- Closed toes shoes are required
- Safety goggles or a face shield must be worn when using any equipment that expels debris (saws, routers, etc...)
- Remove any dangling jewelry such as neck chains or bracelets.
- Roll up sleeves.
- Tie up long hair.