From St. Louis Hackerspace Wiki
Freeware is software that can be acquired at no charge. It should not be confused with free software even though some free software can be acquired at no charge.
Freeware as Malware
As further segregation between the definitions of freeware and free software, freeware often serves as a front for the inclusion of malware. Some signs that the freeware you are about to install is malware include:
- Requesting for your personal information.
- Adding a toolbar to your Internet browser.
- Strange activity with your computer after the software is installed.
- Including other software (as an offer) for other things you don't want.
- Constant badgering to buy other software.
- Involuntary wallpaper and internet homepage changes.
- Tries to (or does) reboot your computer every 15 minutes.
- Treis to (or does) keep your computer running when you try to shut down. (I wonder what would happen if this kind ran with the previous point?)
I could go on, but then I wouldn't have anything to say in the Malware article.