2010 May 18 - General Meeting Minutes
From St. Louis Hackerspace Wiki
Commenced at 7:59
Thanks to Darrel for cleaning the carpet and swapping the light bulbs.
Projects that have got to get done and who's doing:
- Wall – Joe B and Steve
- Tables to build – more of the style Stephen built. One specifically sized to fit the cnc.
- Dust the metal shelfs and General cleaning.
- Bracket for projector – Deech.
- Painting the shared wall – ask John (landlord) when he is doing it.
- AR Logo on the wall – Ryan
- Signs downstairs above the door.
- Painting the rest of the space – Steve and Joe B.
- Electrical – John (landlord) will eventually land in the box. We can use the current conduit. Brian has outlets.
- More buisness cards. Daniel will design. Joe C will order.
- Designing a poster for the open house – John R
- Flyers – Dennis
- Safety considerations -
- Labcoats – Suggests the Mighty Coat of Productivity. Possibly create an Order of the Labcoat. Have them Custom embroidered.
Thanks for paying dues. Square is sending the box. We are just shy members for paying for the space. Hopefully new faces here tonight will decide to return. May dues are due by end of May. Dues for June are due at the beginning of June or end of May.
Sargent at Arms
Webmaster is absent. Web-minion reports there is a new tag on mailing-list reminding everyone to remove their excess quotes. Tag needs to be shortened and put it on the bottom of the message.
PR and Fundraising
Stacy will start a thread for a open house agenda – presentations for during the open house.
Stacy needs help. June 19 is the open house. She Doesn't have the time to continue the role as PR director and asks if anyone wants to participate in a committee to handle the open house business.
Discussion on whether to rent the upstairs roof for the open house. Though it's a great selling point, we don't really have the money to throw at it. Possibly just hold a party upstairs at a later with the funds from the open house.
It was suggested that we hold a combined event involving the Gateway Burners and the Banana Bike Brigade to offset the costs for the party upstairs. We would need to contact the Burners and the BBB to see if they were interested. A downside would be that this could pull attention away from us, as we would have to share the spotlight with the other groups.
The discussion was put to a vote: Hold separate Arch Reactor only event for the open house, with the understanding we will work to have a combined event in the near future. Or hold a larger event combining the group with BBB and Gateway Burners, minding that we haven't even approached the other groups yet.
Simple majority votes for a separate Arch Reactor only event.
Regular Saturday work days begin again. Steve needs to pick a date for painting. Joe B says he can get us some replacement carpet on the cheap. About $4 a square yard. President asked that he get a quote to cover the place.
Puppet stage – Great idea for whomever wants to work on it. Jump on the board and talk about planning.
Planning for classes.
Teaser for next week: Membership Levels. Current membership policy is as defined in the bylaws.
For a person to become a full member after the cut-off date, they a)must be a supporting member for at least six months and gain a full member to nominate them for full membership. Or b)may be a supporting member for less then 6 months, but must have three supporting members to nominate them for full membership. Once nominated, their membership will be put to a vote of the other full members, where a simple majority full members at the next membership meeting is required to pass.
This has proven to be a bit clunky. Difficulties are scheduling sponsorship and voting, and also people who are eager to get started. Another issue has been the need to protect our stuff. We can mitigate that problem with technology, such as access control, video feeds, etc. Maybe its a possibility to allow people to jump in as a full member, but have a one or two month waiting period for the key. We should have this implemented.
A vote was held to induct several supporting members to full membership status. Congrats to Joe B, Jason, Ross, Jason C., Eric, Steve, and Dennis.
The meeting adjourned at 9:27 with a round of introductions. Handles versus real names.