2010 March 9 - General Meeting Minutes
From St. Louis Hackerspace Wiki
Big topic this week is moving. Our current space will not be suitable for us as we continue to grow. We have already been scouting for new spaces. Originally we had 4 possibilities. The current status on those are as follows: Koken Art Factory and City Museum haven't been returning our calls. Polar Breeze is a beautiful building. But with a very nice building comes a very huge price that renders it unaffordable to us.
Jefferson underground seems the best choice and only choice. We'll have 2500 sqft. It will be split into two rooms. All new thermal windows on one side. Original windows on another which we can insulate ourselves if needed The smaller room will be a quarter of the size of the bigger room. There is 200 amp service available. We'll start with 100 and our electric bill will be estimated based on the change in the buildings power usage. If we over run the landlord's power, we can get our own meter. Our first offer was $650 per month. He immediately accepted. He is also willing to work with us for a few months at a lower rate while we get set up. As long as we pay our bills on time he'll keep us there. Currently there is no heating or cooling. Getting an HVAC would double the cost. We'll have our own breaker box and plenty of conduit. There are electrical outlets in the ceiling every few feet. The power bill is likely to be low since we are usually only there at night. We can use a kilowatt to monitor it ourselves if it gets out of hand. We are on the northwestern side of the building and our windows face parking lot and Jefferson. There won't be sun beating in and the newer windows are double pain insulated. Tenants above and below us have full HVAC and walls are solid concrete, which will insulate us. The building was a car parts factory for a Ford dealership. There is a gas line there if we wanted to get service from Laclede.
There are a few building amenities. We get access to the roof top party area with two bars. With a dance floor, stage, and go-go cages. Outdoor fireplace. There is a downstairs bar with fireplace, speakeasy style. The décor is decorated in outboard motors and vintage porno.
Neighbors are nice. One of the upstairs neighbors wanted to come and visit us at some point. There is a video and sound production company upstairs that wants to work with us. The banana bike brigade also rents a place in the building and is willing to share their dirty shop with us. (welder and machine tools)
So far the only downside is the lack of heating and cooling. There is stair and elevator access. Still no ADA accessibility. The space is accessed by stairs. There is a giant ramp in the building. It's designed for car use because the building was originally used to be an auto dealership. With assistance someone in a wheel chair could easily get in, but the ramp is too steep for them to pull themselves up. A motorized chair could probably make it. The elevator is a really large service elevator. Good for moving stuff, but it's not currently rated for people. It requires training for use.
The two bars are allowed to be hung out at whenever we feel like it, as long as there isn't an event scheduled. Then we must be respectful to the planner. This is a members only perk.
Once the landlord has his hosting permits sorted out we can schedule our events there.
There is a bus stop right out the front of the building. Hodak's is nearby for the dinner party people. Also a Lee's chicken, a quickie-mart across the street. Also the Way Out club and a Tattoo parlor.
We want to schedule a vote next week to approve the expenditures of moving. Also voting to bring some supporting members to full member provided they can find a sponsor. If here less than 6 months you will need a sponsor. (pretty much everyone)
10 full members to make quorum. (total of 20 full)
sponsors, determine by trustworthiness. Will you let this person have a key to your stuff.
Distinction between full and supporting will be rediscussed by the board in the future. Not right away.
Everyone can view their membership status on the member site. Keith has them all updated as of last night. Can add an order manually if you are a full member. Supporting members have to wait until the end of the month. This is to prevent supporting from become full members. Once the details are hashed out everyone will be instructed on how to use the site Soon we will be able to also take credit cards. We are acquiring a Square device and we have locked in a good introductory rate.
Nothing to report
If all current members continue to pay dues, we'll bring in about $800 a month, allowing for rent, Internet, and insurance. A couple months rent already in the bank. We are ok, but not rolling in it. Dues are due at the 1st of the month. Delinquent at the end of the month.
Sargent at Arms
Nothing to report
Thanks to Keith's hard work there is now an Amazon.com link posted on the weebsite. If you search through it then we get a small percentage of all purchases ordered during this session.
See President's Report
PR and Fundraising
Nothing to Report
Pete says he won't have time for his programming class. Bob will take over lead. Probably schedule for Wednesday nights to replace Arduino class.
Nothing to report.
The Arduino class is going well. Attendance has dropped off. We'll open it up for anybody tomorrow. Last night we covered LCDs and servos. Tomorrow we will do some DC motors and maybe make a car. Derek neglected to place someone in charge for last Sundays workshop. Breadboards are for sale for $6. Sunday will remain as a general build night even after the Arduino class concludes. For further reading on microcontrollers, grab the Physical Computing book. 2004 edition. A good book on microcontrollers. It's based on PIC controllers but not to different in theory. But more importantly it covers every kind of sensor you will see. Can be found for about $18 used on Amazon. Buy through our affiliate link..
Daniel's iTunes account was broken into. Also his AppleID was compromised and lost $85 in music. Apparently the thief is a Taylor Swift fan. He was worried that it happened at the 2600 meeting. He wanted to let us know on the off chance there was an issue. We really don't know where it happened or how. Several members are trying to help and see if they can track the IP address down. Daniel apologizes for any doubt he may have casted on the group. His money has been recovered.
Jason started a thread on gardening. Derek sharing his left over seeds, Discussed the possiblity of starting a seed exchange program.
Keith is still interested in doing a basic electronics class. Maybe in April.
Deech would like to do a hydroponics project for those with a gardening interests.
Notacon is coming up. It is a hacker conference in Cleavland. We are planning on leaving Thursday evening after work. Stay Friday, Saturday, and then come back on Sunday. Estimated $100 a person to rent a big van, hotel room, and con registration. If we go over we'll return the difference. Next week is the last day to get a group rate on the registration. The con attendance is limited to 400 people so it will not overly crowded. If interested in going, get the money to Bob bu next week.
What is our time-frame for moving? We are currently paid up at our current space through the end of April.
The meeting adjourned with a round of introductions. Stacy suggested introductions by stripper names: First pet's name followed by the street you grew up on.