2010 February 2 - General Meeting Minutes
From St. Louis Hackerspace Wiki
Get from the members, especially the new members about what they are looking for form the hacker space.
Pitch a topic tonight and see how its received and then go ahead and schedule the class and see how it goes.
Brainstorm with the group on the white board, then narrow it down to managable ideas and to who will actually show up. Everyone is interested in everything, but not necessarily willing to show up.
Greeted the new members. Tonight will be for gathering ideas. Making sure the space is for everyone. Disclosed that the Board will be meeting seperately, mainly to spare other members of the boring business side of the organization. However, all minutes from the board meetings will be posted online. Members are welcome to ask any board member questions they may have. Board members will give status updates during regular meetings as needed.
Any expenses that need to be submitted please do so. Please also pay any outstanding dues. Make sure we can cover our expenses with the nest egg we gained from the donations before we started spending towards extra purchases.
Sargent at Arms
Rules and policies for equipment are located on the wiki.
If a materials belong to you, please mark it with your name so that it doesn't accidentaly get used. This has already become an issue. A more official policy will be devoloped.
Still transistioning into the new role. Updates soon.
PR and Fundraising
Discussed Ryan's plan to sell make magazine subscriptions. Looking for fundraising ideas. Fundraising will goto new toys. Any services you can offer please contact Stacy on the forum or mailing list.
Now officially the "Minister of Truth". Reiterated that we spoke during the board meeting that we are looking for ideas about classes. Hopes to have at least one educational event a week. Polling will be held on the forum for desired classes
Refer to PR and Fundraising report above.
No old business to discuss this week.
New members outnumber the current members tonight.
Opening up the floor for ideas. The ideas were then voted on for popularity of interests. Each person present was allowed to vote for five different suggestions. The following table includes a list of suggested ideas and total votes for each suggestion. The leading votes were highlighted.
|Starting a World of Warcraft Guild||1|
|Continuation of the Datamining talk from the Open House||1|
|Beginner Programming Class||9|
|MIT Processing Language||0|
|Ammunition Making / Firearms||1|
|Circuit Board / Electronics classes||13|
|VEX Iron Robot Competition||3|
|Lego Robot Competition||0|
|Costuming and Sewing||6|
|Metal working and casting||4|
|Screen Printing and T-Shirt Making||4|
|Old School Materials||0|
|IT User Groups||2|
|Console Game Modding||1|
Several other projects were suggested, and determined to be neccesities that need to be done regardless of the above voting.
- Complex Equipment Training
- Kids Programming.
- A reliable way to contact people at the space.
- Member Directory
- Show and Tell
- Non-kids Programming
Noah volunteered to show up at the SLUUG Steering Committee meeting to put us on their calendar.
Stacey suggested to the new faces at the meeting to consider becoming a regular member. She suggested that during the voting to meet with Deech to answer any questions, and with Keith to pay dues.
Voting finished at 8:55
Volunteers were solicited to take lead on the most popular class ideas:
- Derek will take lead on the Audrino class
- Ryan, with the assistance of Dan, will work on the CNC Milling class.
- Steven takes the lead on woodworking
- Keith will take lead on basic electronics.
- Stacey and Meredeth take lead on the Art Club
- Aram will check with Pete about taking on the Beginner Programming class. Ross will fill in if Pete declines.
- Keith to discuss how to progress with electronics class next week. Likely starting at the end of February or during March.
- Keith also looking into an Amazon Affiliate account for the purchase of materials.
- It still needs to be determined if a class will be ongoing, or a one shot presentation.
- The Board needs to discuss the presence of minors without a legal guardian present, but under the care of someone else of legal age.
- Daniel posted to the record a need for faster internet access in the space.
The meeting ajourned at 9:28 with a round of introductions